Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men, Feud: Bette and Joan) has been cast in the lead role of Netflix original series Untitled Sabrina Project, based on the Archie Comics graphic novel The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and coming on the heels of the success of Riverdale on The CW.
<[Streaming] Netflix Orders 20 Episodes of Series Based Off Archie Comics’ Sabrina the Teenage Witch>
- Character description: An empowered young woman, half-human, half-witch, Sabrina is just beginning her dark education as a sorceress, even as she tries to maintain a normal life as a sophomore at Baxter High. Intelligent, compassionate and brave to the point of recklessness, Sabrina is all that stands between us and the forces of darkness that threaten our world.
- Executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa said: “We’re all such huge fans of Kiernan’s work that when we started talking about who this new incarnation of Sabrina could be, her name was on everyone’s wish list. This is a darker, more macabre version of Sabrina, and we’re incredibly excited for people to see Kiernan make this iconic character her own.”
- Executive producer and Archie Comics CEO Jon Goldwater added: “I am thrilled that Kiernan is playing Sabrina and have no doubt that she will embody the strength, courage and boldness that has made the character a fan favorite.”
- Shipka most recently appeared opposite Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange in the hit event series Feud: Bette and Joan, in which she played B.D., the strong-willed teenage daughter of Bette Davis (Sarandon). She is perhaps best known for playing the role of Sally Draper for seven seasons of the acclaimed Emmy®-winning drama series Mad Men, opposite Jon Hamm and January Jones.
Series information below:
UNTITLED SABRINA PROJECT (NETFLIX)
- Auspices: Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television
- Order: 20 episodes
- Format: One-hour drama
- Executive Producer/Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
- Executive Producer/Director: Lee Toland Krieger
- Executive Producers: Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter (Berlanti Productions), Jon Goldwater (Archie Comics)
- Based on the Archie Comics characters
- Logline: Untitled Sabrina Project imagines the origin and adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch as a dark coming-of-age story that traffics in horror, the occult and, of course, witchcraft. Tonally in the vein of Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist, this adaptation finds Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature — half-witch, half-mortal — while standing against the evil forces that threaten her, her family and the daylight world humans inhabit.
- Note: The Untitled Sabrina project comes on the heels of the success of Riverdale, which is also based on characters from Archie Comics.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 93 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
*** info courtesy of Netflix