Last year’s Alamo City Comic Con was epic! When I say that I had the time of my life there, that is by no means an exaggeration. From the looks of things, this year promises to be just as amazing. Here’s a preview of what you can expect October 28 – 30, at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, TX:
Celebrities: Last year’s layout was well-organized and lines were manageable and quick. Like any con, celebrities ranged among different aspects of popular culture from television and movies to wrestlers.
This year’s celebrities include David Tennant, Jon Bernthal, Jeremy Bulloch, Billy Dee Williams, Ralph Macchio, Margot Kidder, and Dennis Rodman and more.
Artists: There will be plenty of artists for the comic fan. Even I, who isn’t the savviest comic fan, walked the aisles and aisles of artists to admire the artwork. I even purchased some artwork for friends of mine. This year’s con will feature: Greg Capullo, Brian Pulido, Carlos D’anda and more. Lots to look forward to for comic fans!
Young Adventurers: A new addition to this year’s con will be the Young Adventurers Workshop. Six award-winning middle school authors will be signing books and meeting fans. The workshop will also include special children’s panels. The list of authors featured are: Holly Black (The Spiderwick Chronicles series, The Modern Faerie Tale series), Bruce Coville (My Teacher Is An Alien, Unicorn Chronicles series), Lou Anders (Thrones & Bones series), Obert Skye (Leven Thumps series, The Pillage trilogy), Melissa Marr (Wicked Lovely series, The Blackwell Pages series), and Matthew Cody (Supers Of Noble Green trilogy, Will In Scarlet). This should be a hit with readers of all ages.
Other fun con stuff:
1) Tons of vendor booths for both serious collectors and casual consumers. I was able to walk away with several Funko Pops! at a reasonable price.
2) Fun activities! Many booths/tables will have activities, photo opportunities (a group of 501st for the Star Wars fans), and giveaways.
3) Food and drinks! Food was excellent at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. And Ia huge, huge plus was the adult beverages available. I was able to unwind with some signature drinks like “The Walker” (vodka and Red Bull), and “Marvel” (vodka, Red Bull, triple sec, and lime juice). Believe me, it was much needed after a long day of con activities.
4) Adult fun/After Hours: This year’s adult fun is still TBA. Last year offered a DJ set from Kristian Nairn (That’s Hodor from Game of Thrones).
5) Cosplay and camaraderie: All cons are a great opportunity for fans to gather and find others with common interests. Attending panels or just standing in line, you’ll meet some of the most intriguing people. It’s one of the best things about cons, in my opinion. I love the camaraderie and friendly people from all walks of life coming together for pop culture.
Alamo City Comic Con throws the one of the best cons around. It’ll be exciting to see what this year brings. See you all there in October!